It’s 6am on the second day of maternity leave and the first thing I do is reach for the computer to check emails. I clearly haven’t snapped out of my work routine yet. I’m sure it won’t take long. So now the emails are done, it’s no better time to write my next post.
So I’m 28 and half weeks pregnant with the trips. The past 2 weeks hasn’t been smooth sailing as I’ve had a chest infection, however we’re over the worst of it. My amazing parents in law took me under their wing and looked after me. What would we do without family?!
Now it’s time to nest, organise and prepare for the triple threat. Some advice I’ve been given is not to buy too much, instead to get whatever I can second hand. It’s a little bit different to having one. We don’t need to make the investment for children following. It’s all in the one go. We also need to save every penny, just to give birth to them as the medical expenses are so much more than if we were to have one. So this blog is both to help the new triplet mums get organised for their new arrival in the most cost effective way possible and for those experience mums…what am I missing and what else could I do???
- Car – bought a second hand Mazda CX9 which comes with 7 seats.
- Cots – 3 second hand all painted freshly white with ikea mattress protectors and sheets.
- Change table – 2 second hand ones. One for the babies room and one with a bath in it for the l’dry.
- Storage – 2 x ikea shelving units with 12 Drona boxes (yes 12) of course in all neutral colours.
- Feeding chair – my lovely mum must have foreseen I would have children one day and did up this chair for me which is now neatly placed in the babies room.
- Clothes – THANK YOU sister in laws. I have 4 amazing sister in laws who have given us both boys and girls clothes. I might just need to purchase premmy clothes, however waiting for when they come out. Someone did tell me to just go on ebay and you can buy bulk clothes for whatever size you need.
- Pram – 2nd hand from a triplet mum. This pram retails at $1600. Good news is there are always one popping up on Gumtree. Phew.
- Car seats – capsules hired from Kid Safe QLD.
- Rockers – we’ve been given 2. You can hire these if you want too, as they only need them for a short period of time.
- Baby carrier – given one.
So that’s it…what else do I need? I know I want to invest in a good nappy bag…any suggestions? What else do we need????? Breast pump, bottles…HELP.
I don’t want to sugar coat anything here. Whilst I have gotten off lightly with spending money on things, having triplets is still ridiculously expensive. Our medical expenses are so much more with the fortnightly doctors appointments from the beginning…now weekly, the scans (I’m up to my 5th today which cost $400 a pop), the extra hormones I have to have every night ($50 a week), the steroids and beyond. I guess if I can make a saving on materialistic things and so we aren’t stressing about money to ensure we get these babies out safely, we will make the saving.
Please add your comments below with any suggestions or ideas. I’m new to this! Thank you xox